1. On Jordan's bank the Baptist's cry
Announces that the Lord is nigh;
Awake and hearken, for he brings
Glad tidings of the King of kings.
2. Then cleansed be every heart from sin;
Make straight the way of God within,
And let each heart prepare a home
Where such a mighty guest may come.
3. For you are our salvation, Lord,
Our refuge, and our great reward;
Without your grace we waste away
Like flow'rs that wither and decay.
4. To heal the sick stretch out your hand,
And bid the fallen sinner stand;
Shine forth, and let your light restore
Earth's own true loveliness once more.
5. All praise the Son eternally,
Whose advent sets his people free;
Whom with the Father we adore
And Spirit blest for evermore.