1. "Take up your cross," the Savior said,
"If you would my disciple be;
Take up your cross with willing heart,
And humbly follow after me."
2. Take up your cross; let not its weight
Fill your weak spirit with alarm;
His strength shall bear your spirit up,
And brace your heart, and nerve your arm.
3. Take up your cross, heed not the shame,
And let your foolish pride be still;
The Lord for you accepted death
Upon a cross, on Calvary's hill.
4. Take up your cross, then, in his strength,
And calmly ev'ry danger brave:
It guides you to a better home
And leads to victory o'er the grave.
5. Take up your cross and follow Christ,
Nor think till death to lay it down;
For those who humbly bear the cross
One day will wear the glorious crown.